The federal government is distributing money across Canada to fund events celebrating Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee this year, including more than $110,000 for local events in the National Capital Region and the East of Ontario.
Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez on Monday announced $2.14 million in funding for celebrations and community projects marking the Queen’s 70 years on the throne, a day before Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, arrive in Canada for a three-day tour. .
“Over the past 70 years, Her Majesty has been a constant presence in the lives of many Canadians and has cultivated lasting ties to Canada through our rich cultures and traditions,” the Department of Heritage said in a statement.
The funding will support 360 community events and three major national projects.
The Rideau Hall Foundation will receive $75,000 for the Queen Elizabeth Scholars Platinum Jubilee Symposium. The Monarchist League of Canada will receive $187,500 for its educational booklet on the Platinum Jubilee of the Canadian Monarchy, and the Royal Canadian Geographical Society will receive $407,000 for the Platinum Jubilee Commemoration.
In the Ottawa area, some of the funding recipients include the Canadian Indo-Caribbean Organization of Ottawa, the Rockcliffe Flying Club, Queen Elizabeth Public School and the Sons of Scotland Pipe Band.
The Ottawa-Gatineau Bandjoun Community and the Saint-Jean Ambulance Brigade in Gatineau will also receive funding.
Events in Eastern Ontario are also funded, such as the Truffle Association of Canada in Brockville and the Waba Cottage Museum in White Lake.
“For more than 70 years, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II has been a model of dedication and a privileged witness to the growth and achievements of Canadians, as well as the values that unite us,” said Rodriguez. “That is why I am pleased to announce the funded projects that will allow Canadians across the country to learn more about our sovereign, celebrate this historic anniversary and reflect on the meaning of public service in the society of today.
LIST OF FUNDED EVENTS IN OTTAWA AND THE REGION
Township of Mcnab/Braeside – Arnprior, Ont.
- Jubilee Garden Project at Waba Cottage Museum and Gardens Historic Site
Friends of St. Alban’s Adolphustown – Bath, Ont.
- Jubilee United Empire Loyalist Service and Traditional British Tea
Canadian Truffle Association – Brockville, Ont.
- Queen Elizabeth’s Jubilee Truffle Garden
Corporation of the City of Brockville – Brockville, Ont.
- The Queen’s Landing
Carleton Place and Beckwith Historical Society – Carleton Place, Ont.
- Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Garden Party
Canadian Research and Mapping Associations – Casselman, Ont.
- Queen Elizabeth’s royal visit to Canada in 1959
Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Historical Society – Cornwall, Ont.
- 2022 Proclamation and Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Lighthouse Ceremony
Municipal Corporation of the Township of North Algona Wilberforce – Eganville, Ont.
- Plant a tree for the Jubilee
Corporation of the Municipality of South Dundas, Iroquois, Ont.
- Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II inaugurates the St. Lawrence Seaway
Metcalfe Agricultural Society – Ottawa, Ont.
- Metcalfe Fair presents the celebration of the Queen’s 70th Jubilee
Sawa Community of Canada Ngond’a Sawa O Canada – Ottawa, Ont.
- Sawa Community Cultural Day for Queen’s Jubilee
Canadian Association of Former Parliamentarians – Ottawa, Ont.
- Celebrating Canada, Parliament and the Queen
Canadian Indo-Caribbean Organization of Ottawa (CICOO) – Ottawa, Ont.
- Canadian Indo-Caribbean Organization of Ottawa
Cameroonian Community of Canada – National Capital Region – Ottawa, Ont.
- Platinum Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II: Cameroon Evening
Connected by Multi-Lenses Canada – Ottawa, Ont.
- Chinese newcomers understand the relationship with the Crown in Canada
Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire – Ottawa, Ont.
- Jubilee Garden Party
Nepean Community Support Services – Ottawa, Ont.
- Commonwealth Day Celebration in Parkwood Hills
Queen Elizabeth Public School – Ottawa, Ont.
- In Circle Together: Building and dedicating our outdoor gathering space
RCAF RCAF Association – Ottawa, Ont.
- Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Commemorative Album St James’ House Publisher
Rockcliffe Flying Club (1961) – Ottawa, Ont.
- In-Flight Platinum Jubilee Celebration
Tanglewood Hillsdale Community Association – Ottawa, Ont.
- Celebration of the 70th anniversary of the reign of Her Majesty The Queen
Sons of Scotland Pipe Band / Mac An Alba – Ottawa, Ont.
Ottawa Valley Media Network – Pembroke, Ont.
- Jubilee Garden Tea
The Corporation of Prince Edward County – Picton, Ont.
City of Clarence-Rockland – Rockland, Ont.
- Canada Day Jubilee Celebration in Clarence-Rockland
Tweed and Area Historical Society – Tweed, Ont.
- Tweed celebrates platinum jubilee
The Corporation of the Township of North Dundas – Winchester, Ont.
- Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Butterfly Garden
St. John Ambulance Gatineau division (d0907) – Gatineau, Que.
- Annual review of the Saint-Jean Ambulance of Gatineau
Ottawa-Gatineau Bandjoun Community – Gatineau, Que.
- History of African Canadians and Integration of African Immigrants